Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Obsession

Today's earworm? Animotion's song--Obsession, you are an obsession, blah blah blah.  The song drives me up the wall, mostly because I only know the chorus.

So yesterday when I checked my mailbox, there was the letter from the membership department telling me that my case has to be handled locally and therefore they were forwarding my letter to the stake president who would forward it to the bishop, and in light of the serious consequences they urged me to think again. They also included the little pamphlet about how if we were offended we should come back. I didn't read it. I threw it on the seat in my car and it's going into the recycle bin tonight when I pick up my mail.

Then today I emailed my bishop a polite note to let him know that I'd received the letter; I would like him to process my resignation as quickly as possible; I do not want him to contact my husband about this because (a) my husband already knows how I feel and (b) my husband is not responsible for my actions and decisions. I said that I no longer believe the church to be true. I said if he has any questions specifically about my resignation he may email me, but otherwise I still want no contact other than a letter saying that I'm no longer a member.  No response has come, so I imagine he'll handle it now. And I swear, if he calls my husband, I'm going to throw a royal shit fit!

Then I keep thinking of the song Obsession, so I looked up the lyrics. Imagine the profit singing this to the people trying to leave the church:

You are an obsession, I cannot sleep
I am a possession unopened at your feet
There is no balance, no equality
Be still I will not accept defeat

I will have you, yes I will have you
I will find a way and I will have you
Like a butterfly, a wild butterfly
I will collect you and capture you

You are an obsession, you're my obsession
Who do you want me to be to make you sleep with me

I feed you, I drink you by day and by night
I need you, I need you by sun or candlelight
You protest, you want to leave
You say there's no alternative

Your face appears again, I see the beauty there
But I see danger, stranger beware
A circumstance in your naked dreams
Your affection is not what it seems

You are an obsession, you're my obsession
Who do you want me to be to make you sleep with me

My fantasy has turned to madness
All my goodness has turned to badness
My need to possess you has consumed my soul
My life is trembling, I have no control

I will have you, yes I will have you
I will find a way and I will have you
Like a butterfly, a wild butterfly
I will collect you and capture you

You are an obsession, you're my obsession
Who do you want me to be to make you sleep with me

Any questions?

UPDATE: When I got back from lunch, I had an email from my bishop stating that he would accede to my request, fill out the paperwork, submit it to the stake president, who has to submit it to SLC, and I have 30 days to change my mind. I won't, of course. It was all very cordial. But I'm doing the happy dance now.

No comments:

Post a Comment