Sunday, April 17, 2011

Not for Me, Thanks

One of the things I was frequently taught or that was discussed among my friends was having my own world someday (assuming I made it that far).

My friends would say that they would do this or that in their worlds, and I'd wonder about it. If God is all-knowing, all-seeing, etc., and this is the way he set things up, then this must be the way they should be done. So my saying that I would do something different, it seemed logical, would be going against God. Which meant that I'd never have my own world.

The thing is, I don't want my own world. I have enough trouble managing my life on a day-to-day basis. The thought of having my own world terrifies me. The thought of having to keep every commandment, every expectation, etc. makes me feel nothing but despair because there is no way I can. It's by grace we are saved, after all we can do.  But you know what? The impression that was given to me by my leaders focused far less on the grace aspect and far more on the all we can do aspect.

I can never do enough, never be enough. I will always fall short, always fail.

Thank God for grace! I can focus on being myself, and can worship God according to the dictates of my conscience, and can be the best person I can be. I feel so much freer now.  And now I can pray without the constant worries of whether God will want to hear from someone who is so pathetic a loser.

Just my two cents' worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment