Friday, November 11, 2011

Politics

I really dislike talking about politics.  I hate the arguments that seem to inevitably ensue. 

Years and years ago, when my father in law was still alive, we were visiting my husband's parents. My husband, I might add, has very strong opinions about everything and never hesitates to share them.  So he and his mother were talking politics, and the discussion was rather heated. Then my stepfather said, "So, J, what do you think about abortion?" And they were off, my husband and his mother arguing vociferously.

I backed away, and then happened to glance at my father in law. He was sitting back with a broad grin on his face and a twinkle in his eye, and I realised he had done it deliberately because he loved watching them arguing.  I miss that man, let me tell you. The last time I saw him before he passed away was when we went up for a vacation, deliberately to see him, of course, but also to meet a friend of mine. When J and I arrived at the nursing home, his mother was anxiously hovering over his father. "Do you know who this is?" she asked loudly. "Do you recognize him?"  Dad F was pretending not to know, and then he said, "I know who you are! You're--you're--Christopher!" (or some other name--the precise one escapes me at the moment.) J's mom began wailing and saying, "No! It's J! Your son!"  But J and I were looking at Dad F, and saw that irrepressible twinkle in his eye and knew he was playing his wife for all he was worth. Sadly, none of the family believed that he was joking, because he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.  I'm glad, though, to have gotten to see him in action one last time.

Anyway, sorry about that detour, but let's go back to politics.  I used to be mega conservative. I served on the local Republican committee, and was supposed to go to the convention as a delegate but it was during the IVF time and it didn't work out for me to participate.  I am VERY ashamed to say that at the time I did not support gay marriage.

I've come a long way, though.

So has my stepmother. She used to be oh-so-liberal, and now she's an extremely conservative ditto-head.

A month or so ago, when Perry entered the presidential race, I happened to be over at her house with my sister. When they announced that Perry was now running for president, and he and Romney appeared to be the front-runners, I stupidly said that there was no way on god's green earth that I would vote for either Perry or Romney.

My stepmother stared at me. "You have to."

WTF? "No, I don't have to, and I won't."

"If you don't vote for them, then you're voting for Obama."

"So?"  Nothing against Obama--I think he's a decent guy. Not so great a president, but there's still no way on god's green earth that I will vote for either Perry or Romney.

My sister was giving me the you'd-better-shut-up-because-you-can't-win-this-one face, so I lapsed into silence.

My stepmother said a few more times that it didn't matter if it were Romney or Perry, I had to vote for whomever it was.

And I sat there and stewed.

So I'm a closeted moderate liberal with my Dad's family, and a closeted exmo with my Mom's family, and a closeted spiritually whatever with my husband. 

I'm tired of having to live in a dark dank closet. I want to come out into the sunshine and flourish.

So here:
I am a moderate liberal, and I will vote for whoever I damn well please. And I will tell you here and now it will never be Mitt Romney nor Rick Perry.
I am no longer a Mormon, and I'm very happy about that.  I refuse categorically to even pretend to believe in their doctrine.
I am a spiritual whatever (I don't want a label here. I believe what I believe, and it suits me fine) and if I want to burn incense and candles while I take a relaxing bath, and sip on a glass of wine, I'm damn well going to do it.

And anyone who has a problem with it can suck it!

No comments:

Post a Comment